The Leadership in Turbulent Times conference series features leaders who have been honored with induction into the Space & Satellite Hall of Fame and the 20 Under 35 program. Exchanging ideas, challenging each other and finding common ground, they deepen our understanding of what it means to lead in a high-pressure, complex technology sector and where the innovations of today will lead the industry in the future. The series includes virtual events with live conferences planned for the future as well.
The first Leadership in Turbulent Times conference took place via Zoom on March 22, 2021, one day before the 2021 Space & Satellite Hall of Fame Celebration. The event incuded 4 panels featuring 20 members of the Space & Satellite Hall of Fame and 20 Under 35 cohorts.
Welcome and Introduction
How to Lead Where There is No Path
Members of the Hall of Fame and 20 Under 35 answer questions about leading people, projects and companies through the first global pandemic of the space and satellite age, and the long recovery from it. Moderated by Louis Zacharilla, SSPI.
- Steve Collar, CEO, SES (Hall of Fame inductee 2020)
- Jim Oliver, Founder and CEO, AvL Technologies (Hall of Fame inductee 2021)
- Brittany Zajic, Business Development & Disaster Response Lead, Planet (20 Under 35 2020)
- Zachary Downey, Senior Data Scientist, Ursa Space Systems (20 Under 25 2018)
Video excerpts from interviews with a Hall of Famer Mary Cotton (inducted in 2017) and 20 Under 35 member Theo McDonald (2018 cohort).
Who Keeps the First Trillion Dollars in the Space Economy?
It wasn’t the miners of the California Gold Rush who made the money – it was the people who supplied them. As a wave of technology advance drastically accelerates the industry’s growth, we ask Hall of Famers and 20 Under 35 where the biggest opportunities, the biggest risks and the biggest innovations will be. Moderated by Robert Bell, SSPI.
- Paul Gaske, Executive Vice President and General Manager, North America, Hughes Network Systems (Hall of Fame inductee 2020)
- Brittany Zimmerman, CEO, Yummet (20 Under 35 2020)
- Pierre-Alexis Joumel, Business Growth Manager, Space Systems, Airbus Defense and Space (20 Under 35 2020)
- Daniel Alvarez, Program Integration Officer, Boeing (20 Under 35 2019)
Video excerpts from interviews with a Hall of Famer Gwynne Shotwell (inducted in 2018) and 20 Under 35 member Julian Horvath (2019 cohort).
We pair off members of the Hall of Fame and 20 Under 35 to ask each other on question about today’s industry, tomorrow’s opportunities, or why they have made this industry their professional home. Moderated by Tamara Bond-Williams, SSPI.
- Tory Bruno, CEO, United Launch Alliance (Hall of Fame inductee 2020)
- George John, Associate, Hogan Lovells (20 Under 35 2020)
- XT Vuong, Vice President and Chief Scientist, Artel (Hall of Fame inductee 2015)
- Taylor Kerl, Systems Engineer, Maxar Technologies (20 Under 35 2020)
- Susan Irwin, Managing Director, Euroconsult USA (Hall of Fame inductee 2013)
- Isil Demir, Director, Mission Systems, Planet (20 Under 35 2019)
Video excerpts from interviews with a Hall of Famer Greg Wyler (inducted in 2019) and 20 Under 35 member Daniel Alvarez (2019 cohort).
Lead, Follow or Get Out of the Way?
Are those the only choices? A strong, self-assured leader surrounded by loyal followers, and everyone else can head for the door? Members of the Hall of Fame and 20 Under 35 share their views on styles of leadership and the art of getting the best from people. Moderated by Louis Zacharilla, SSPI.
- Matt Desch, CEO, Iridium (Hall of Fame inductee 2019)
- Ellen Hoff, President, W.L. Pritchard & Co. (Hall of Fame inductee 2011)
- Harriet Brettle, Business Analyst, Astroscale (20 Under 35 2020)
- Valvanera Moreno, Senior Manager, Program Integration Lead, SES (20 Under 35 2018)
The Leadership in Turbulent Times conference series is sponsored by